|TBA National Two Year Old Sale
The Bloodstock South Africa/TBA National Two Year Old sale starts at the TBA sales complex in Johannesburg on 10 August at 1pm, with Lots 1-175 going under the hammer on the first day. Day 2 takes place on Sunday 12 August, starting at 11am and will see Lots 176-379 being sold.
Once again the KZN-breds are well represented and the TBA describes the sale as “one of the best value for money sales in the country, the 2 year old sale has a long history of producing Grade 1 winners and champions, both locally and abroad.”
Recent graduates of the sale include last year’s Equus Champion 3 year old colt, The Apache.
The Apache cost just R80 000 at the 2009 National Two Year Old Sale. Currently on his way to Dubai with Mike de Kock, The Apache was bred by Scott Bros. He earned Equus honours at three, after he won both the Grade 1 Daily News 2000 and Grade 1 Champions Cup. To date, The Apache has won in excess of R1.9 million, with the promise of more to come.
This year sees a strong catalogue, with 379 well bred horses on offer. There is a wide variety of pedigrees on offer, with something for every budget.
Bloodstock South Africa “Every year the Emperors Palace National Two Year Old Sale produces its share of champions. You cannot afford to miss it.”
We have a look at some of the KZN-breds on offer, that are siblings to Graded Stakes winners or placed horses.
- Lot 12 is from Scott Bros, a colt named Galactic by Miesque’s Approval out of Markanawa(NZ) by Maroof(USA). He is a half-brother to Oaks Trial Listed winner Markofdistinction (by Mogok), a three-time winner. The mare also produced a 6-time winner in Australia by Tale Of The Cat(USA). The mare is a full-sister to Equus Champion Female Sprinter Toccata, as well as champion stayer Long Dollar, Polar Bound and New Zealand champion filly The Lions Roar. G1 Goldmine pedigree software gives an interesting analysis of this pedigree – being very similar to champion racehorse and sire Fusaichi Pegasus.
- Lot 65 from Yellow Star Stud, named Hillbrow by Right Approach out of Private Property by Just Personal(AUS). The colt is a third produce and a half-brother to Abington, a two-time winner who placed in the Gr 3 Winter Guineas. This is the family of Arcsa Champion filly Up The Creek, as well as Gr 1 Gold Bowl winner Valley Dancer, Hard Test and West Cigar.
- Lot 67 from Hadlow Stud, a colt by Pissaro out of Proud Heritage by Centenary, is a full-brother to Listed Placed winner Lizzy’s Heritage. She is a five-time winner and placed nine times. The second dam is Gr 1 SA Oaks winner, Kama’s Pride and third dam is Gr 1 Cape Of Good Hope Paddock Stakes winner Artist’s Pride(AUS). This immediate family also includes Gr 2 winner Regal Satisfaction.
- Lot 70 from Clifton Stud is a colt named Alley Dancer by Jam Alley out of Queen Of Dance by Rambo Dancer. This is the dam’s third produce, her first foal (by West Man) being a four-time winner and placing in the Listed Sea Cottage Stakes, Super Trouper. The second dam is five-time winner Clifton Queen, this family includes the likes of First Arrival, and Equus Champion Let’s Rock ‘n Roll.
- Lot 86 from Middlefield Stud is a colt by Spanish Harlem out of Rosebank by Al Mufti, named Worthington. He is a half-brother to Listed Placed winner Falstaff, an eight-time winner. He also has a five-time winning half-brother by West Man named Challenger Quay. This is the family of Bold Chieftain, Fine Things, Fine Farthing, and Al’s Dancer.
- Lot 88 from Scott Bros is a filly by Miesque’s Approval, well-bred out of the mare Royal Promise(AUS) by Royal Academy. The filly is a half-sister to Mogok’s Desire who has had two wins and ran second in the Grade 3 Protea Stakes. This is the family of sire Icelandic(GB), Our Maizcay, Snow and Bon Expresso.
- Lot 202 from Bush Hill Stud is named Flamenco Fusion, by Antonius Pius out of Listed winner Arabian Flame by Salaadim. This filly is a half-sister to Gr 3 winner Procurer (by Houston Connection). Procurer won five-times and placed 20 times including a Listed race. This is the family of William Penn, Hawaii and Parhelia.
- Lot 273 from Scott Bros is another by Miesque’s Approval, a filly named Bluebaygirl, out of Dolphin Coast by Dolpour. Dolphin Coast is herself unraced but she has produced two good horses in three-time winning and multiple Graded Placed Tiger Shark (by Spaceship). The other is the more recent Ballito Boy, a two-time winning son of Mogok who placed in the Gr 3 Byerley Turk Stakes. This filly is a full-sister to Rocky Bay, a multiple winner who also won on Vodacom Durban July day. This family includes Legal Find, Legality, Precedent and Grey Cashmere.
- Lot 360 from Bush Hill Stud, a Tiger Ridge filly out of Kentucky Lass by Kentucky Slew named Ronda. Kentucky Lass is a seven-time winner, and has produced seven-time winner and Gr 1 Champions Cup winner African Appeal and six-time multiple Stakes placed Mary-Lou (by Rich Man’s Gold). Kentucky Lass has bred eight winners in total. This is the family of Well Dressed, Fashion Maker, Best Dressed and Divine Heights.
Information and catalogues courtesy www.tba.co.za